What If a Dog Eats a Mushroom from the Yard? (Solved!)

A dog who eats wild mushrooms from the lawn should be treated immediately for toxicity poisoning. Not all mushrooms are poisonous to dogs, but you should treat wild mushrooms with extreme caution.

Timeliness is important for treatment because toxicity poisoning can take time to set in. The effects of eating wild mushrooms vary, and the signs of toxicity poisoning are not always obvious.

If a dog eats a mushroom from the yard, immediately take them for medical attention. If left untreated, the outcome of ingesting mushrooms can be fatal. Poison control and veterinarians are trained in various practices to reverse the effects of poisoning and save an animal’s life.

What Happens If a Dog Eats Mushrooms From the Yard? 

Many dangerous things can happen if a dog eats mushrooms from the yard. Some mushrooms are fine for dogs to eat and can result in no effect. On the other hand, consuming backyard mushrooms can have many fatal effects.

Letting your dog eat wild mushrooms from your backyard can cause poisoning. In some cases, the results of poisoning can be minor, like temporary lethargy, or serious, like liver failure. No matter what, you should take any poisoning seriously for the sake of your dog’s health.

When it comes to your pup’s health, the severity of the resulting condition depends on several factors. For instance, how quickly the dog receives medical attention, the amount they eat, and the kind of mushroom.

Physical Sickness

After eating mushrooms, many dogs will begin to show signs of physical illness. Physical illness shows itself in numerous ways that can be discomforting or even debilitating to your furry friend. 

The following are common physical reactions that come from eating backyard mushrooms:

  • Vomiting
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Excessive drooling
  • Excessive panting
  • Weakness
  • Uncontrollable bowel movements

In some cases, this physical sickness occurs when a dog ingests only a small amount. The reaction is not life-threatening. In other cases, physical sicknesses are only the beginning of a much larger reaction. 

A moderate reaction to mushrooms is still considered poisoning. 

Chronic Illnesses

They may also develop chronic illnesses like kidney and liver failure as they try to process the poison in their bodies.

Dogs may develop various chronic illnesses after eating wild mushrooms. The chronic illnesses were long-lasting, although treated by veterinarians or poison specialists.

The resulting chronic illnesses include:

  • Liver failure
  • Kidney failure
  • Coma
  • Neurological disease
  • Jaundice (yellowing of skin or eyes)
  • Seizures

Death

A dog who goes without medical attention after eating a poisonous wild mushroom will die. There are hundreds of wild mushroom species that can kill dogs. In general, it is best to keep your dog away from wild mushrooms.

Long-Term Conditions

Many dogs who survive mushroom poisoning develop lasting conditions. The most common long-term conditions revolve mainly around the liver and kidneys. Other conditions may include gastric and more. 

What To Do If A Dog Eats A Mushroom from the Yard

Most veterinarians strongly advise treating dogs eating wild mushrooms as an emergency because of the extreme potential for toxicity. Not all mushrooms are toxic, but it is best to treat wild mushrooms as if they are because it can make life safer for you and your furry friend.

Mushrooms can be deadly, and to save your dog, you must offset poisoning immediately with emergency treatment from a veterinarian or other animal emergency professional.

Observe Their Behavior

Observe your dog’s behavior for any signs of mushroom poisoning. At first, these may not seem obvious, but they can worsen and become irreversible in time. The unpredictability of mushroom poisoning is why you always supervise your dog any time you let them outside. 

The most common symptoms of mushroom poisoning include:

  • Lethargy
  • Dizziness
  • Difficulty walking or lack of coordination
  • Excessive drooling or salivation
  • Lack of appetite
  • Uncontrollable bowel movements

Many other behaviors result from mushroom poisoning. Even in minor cases, you should treat any ingestion as an emergency. Sometimes a slight reaction is ultimately the first sign in a larger diagnosis. 

Without treatment, the small abnormalities you see in your dog’s behavior can develop into life-threatening illnesses.

Seek Emergency Medical Treatment

Seek emergency medical attention immediately from an animal poison control center or emergency veterinary hospital. Many wild mushrooms are toxic, and ingesting them can be fatal if you do not get your dog treatment immediately.

Poisoned dogs will need to seek emergency poisoning treatment and remain in the emergency facility for at least 24-48 hours for observation following their mushroom poisoning. Observation allows for laboratory testing so veterinarians can take preventative measures to prevent long-term conditions from developing.

Bring a sampling of the mushroom wrapped in a damp piece of paper towel, if possible. Providing your veterinarian or poison control professional with a sample of the mushroom can make treatment easier. If you come in contact with wild mushrooms, wash your hands. Washing your hands will prevent the chance of becoming poisoned or spreading the poison to other pets.

Induce Vomiting

Inducing vomiting will remove some of the toxins from your dog’s system. However, this will not stop the effects of poison in its tracks. A dog who has had vomiting induced will still need to have poison treatment.

What Types of Wild Mushrooms are Toxic to Dogs?

For the safety of your dog, it is best to avoid all wild mushrooms. Feeding your dog any wild-grown foods increases the risk of poisoning your canine companion. Unless you have grown your dog’s food yourself, getting it from the ground can be dangerous to their health.

It is safer to consider all wild mushrooms toxic to your dog. In general, wild mushrooms cannot be trusted because there is no foolproof way to guarantee safety.

The most poisonous mushrooms to dogs include: 

  • Death cap
  • False morel
  • All hallucinogenic mushrooms
  • Deadly agaric “fly agaric.”
  • Jeweled death cap

Common, store-bought mushrooms like Portobello and Shiitake are safe for dogs to eat. However, wild mushrooms should be considered dangerous. 

Wild mushrooms, in general, should not be trusted. Keep your dog far away from mushrooms if you want them to stay safe and healthy.