Can You Eat Too Many Morels? (Solved & Explained!)

Can you eat too many morels? Morels contain a mildly toxic substance, so consuming too many can cause stomach pains and nausea. Some people have allergic reactions or bad reactions to morels, so you should eat them in moderation if you are trying them for the first time. 

Keep reading to learn how best to eat morels and what to do if you think you’re having a bad reaction to eating them.

Why do morels make you sick?

True morels can make you sick because of the mild toxin that they have. It’s also possible that you are having an allergic reaction to them, causing you to feel ill. There have been instances where even people who have eaten morels before find themselves getting sick has they develop an intolerance over time.

There are also false morels that look very much like true morels but are a type of poisonous mushroom. If you think there’s a chance you’ve eaten a false morel, then you should go to the nearest emergency hospital to get medical advice. 

Can morels be toxic? 

Morels themselves are toxic if you eat them uncooked or undercooked. Since they contain a mild toxin, cooking them gets rid of enough of the toxin that they are safe to eat. There are also false morels that are always toxic regardless of whether you cook them, but they are not technically morels. 

Can morels make you trip? 

Morels do not contain any substances or chemicals that would cause hallucinations unless you consume too many of them, in which case you may experience mild hallucinations as a result of other symptoms from the morel’s toxin. 

What happens if you eat a false morel?

If you eat a false morel, you will start to feel symptoms within the first couple of hours, and illness will set in about six hours after eating. Symptoms you may experience are nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, headaches and dizziness, lack of coordination and even seizures. Left untreated, you can experience coma, liver failure, and even death. 

What do false morels taste like? 

False morels taste the same as a raw true morel. Morels have a nutty flavour unique from other mushrooms and a meaty texture that is very distinct from the slimy texture usually associated with mushrooms. You won’t be able to tell the difference between true and false morels simply by taste. 

How can you tell the difference between morals and false morels? 

The most apparent difference between true morels and false morels is whether they are hollow inside or not. True morels are always hollow when cut open, whereas false morels have a cotton-like substance inside. True morels also have stems that attach to the bottom of their caps which false morels do not. 

Are black morels safe to eat? 

Black morels, like all true morels, are only safe to eat if they aren’t raw. Morels turn black only because the heat is drying them out, so there is no real difference between a true morel that is black or more of a yellow-brown. 

Are morels poisonous to dogs? 

Morels are just as poisonous to dogs as humans, which is to say they will cause illness if you eat them raw. You don’t want your dog eating raw morels while out for a walk or giving them raw morels as a treat because this will result in stomach pain, muscle weakness, and other symptoms just as it would in humans. 

Do not drink alcohol with morels? 

There are some cases where people have bad reactions to mixing alcohol with morels. If you have had morels before, drink caution and check in with yourself to ensure you aren’t getting any alarming symptoms. If you’ve never had morels before then, you should avoid drinking alcohol at the same time or having any alcohol in your system when you try them. 

How long after eating morels can you drink alcohol? 

For some people, you will be able to drink in moderation while you are eating morels. However, if you have a bad reaction or have had one in the past, you will want to wait two to three days after eating morels before consuming alcohol again. In the future, you might want to avoid drinking alcohol a few days before eating morels to prevent illness.

How do you know when morels go bad? 

Fresh morels will only last a few days before going bad, and you will be able to tell if they are bad by there either being mould in the ridges on the cap or a foul odour coming from them. The taste will also be noticeably different when the morels are starting to go bad.

How long do morels keep in the refrigerator? 

You can keep morels in the refrigerator for about four days before they will start to go bad. The best way to store morels if you want to hoard them is to freeze-dry them and store them in a freezer. These morels will keep almost all their nutrients and can last up to 20 years without going bad. 

What animals eat morels? 

Animals that eat morels are deer, elk and grey squirrels. When morels season comes, it’s always a race between mushroom hunters and these animals to see who can get to the popular mushrooms first. 

What trees do morels grow under? 

Morels grow under oak, elm, ash and aspen trees and even under some fruit trees such as apple trees. It’s a bit of a mystery why morels like to grow under some trees and not others, but the theory is that it has something to do with the root system of certain tree species. Fruit trees provide plenty of rotting organic matter for them to use as a food source. 

What state grows the most morels? 

Morels grow from Tennessee up to Michigan, Wisconsin, and Vermont and can grow as far west as Oklahoma. Morels usually start growing in the southern states first before moving farther north throughout the spring season.