How Can You Tell If Field Mushrooms Are Safe to Eat? (Solved & Explained!)

It is not easy to tell at first glance whether a field mushroom is poisonous because they look very similar. Some field mushrooms can be poisonous, but most of them are not.

When you see a field mushroom, the first thing you need to do is to check whether there is a red color on the stem and cap. Then you should cut this mushroom in two and see if it turns blue inside.

If it turns blue, or liquid runs out, then this mushroom is probably poisonous.

Can Field Mushrooms Make You Sick?

Eating field mushrooms that you are not completely sure about can make you sick.

This is because most field mushrooms are nearly identical and just looking at them is not enough to determine their toxicity – unless you are a mushroom expert with years of experience.

Unless you are completely sure what kind of mushroom you have picked from the field, then do not consume it, it can be a poisonous type that can make you very sick.

How to Tell a Field Mushroom from a Yellow Stainer

Yellow Strainers may deceive you with its similarity to the field mushroom in appearance, but there are noticeable differences between these two mushrooms.

Color

If the Yellow Stainer mushroom is squeezed, a yellow liquid flows outward. Although very pale, yellows can grow in the field mushroom species, but they are not as strong and bright as a true Yellow Strainer.

Ringzone

The wide ring-shaped design on the Yellow Strainer’s body is an important feature that distinguishes it from the field mushroom.

This ring region is very thick and prominent and features a yellow base when plucked.

Stalking

If the sole of the Yellow Strainer is cut, it will have a yellow-looking base. This is not seen in the yellow Field Mushroom or other field mushroom species.

The Yellow Strainer’s stem is also more bulbous than the Field mushroom.

How Do You Identify Field Mushrooms?

You can distinguish the field mushrooms from other mushrooms thanks to some features mentioned below;

  1. Color and structure of their caps
  2. The color of their hats can vary from white to a pinkish color
  3. Color of the gills
  4. Sports print
  5. Roots snap away from the cap
  6. Smell
  7. Cut flesh color that turns blue
  8. Cap shape

What are Field Mushrooms Good For?

Field mushrooms are very rich in B vitamins. With its high vitamin B values, it helps nerve, heart, and muscle functions to work well and also helps prevent complications in the brain, stomach, and intestines.

Thanks to the B vitamins it contains, field mushrooms enable us to keep going all day long by converting protein and carbohydrates into energy.

These mushrooms also play a role in the good functioning of our digestive and excretory system by regulating our metabolism, while strengthening the immune system.

What Can Field Mushrooms Be Confused With?

Field Mushrooms are very similar to other mushroom species. For example, an Ink Mushroom or Yellow Strainer is one of the most similar mushrooms to the Field Mushroom.

It is very difficult to distinguish these mushrooms from each other, especially if you are not an experienced mushroom hunter. Although Field mushrooms smell a little more pleasant, the smell of Ink mushrooms is not pleasant at all.

These mushrooms, especially when cut, leave yellow spots on the base and stems, whereas, in the field mushroom, these spots are very few or absent.

What Time of Year Do Field Mushrooms Grow?

The growing season of field mushrooms is usually between September and November. During these months, the air temperatures are not too high and the humidity is sufficient, and the mushrooms can easily find a suitable environment for their growth.

Some mushrooms can grow all year round. This can vary between types.. At the same time, the soil and climatic conditions where the mushrooms grow are also primary factors for growth rates.

Can Field Mushrooms Be Poisonous?

While some Field Mushrooms can make you sick when eaten, the vast majority are non-toxic.

Horse Mushrooms and Agaricus Macrosporus are some of the edible mushrooms in nature.

However, it is not recommended to eat a Field Mushroom that you are not completely sure about.

Can You Get Food Poisoning From Cooked Field Mushrooms?

Since the majority of field mushrooms are non-toxic, there is no harm in cooking them. Also, cooking or frying these mushrooms will completely kill any bacteria in them, and neutralize any toxic substances, if traces of toxin are present.

Field mushrooms generally do not contain toxic substances. Before cooking, you should wash it thoroughly and clean any residue formed on the outer surface.

Can I store Field Mushrooms?

Field Mushrooms are generally recommended to be consumed fresh. If you are going to consume them daily, keep them refrigerated for 5-7days.

But if you want to store Field Mushrooms for longer periods, you should put them in the freezer. You can also store these mushrooms by drying them out for longer-term storage.

How Do You Store Mushrooms for Longer?

Since Field Mushrooms contain a large amount of water, they tend to spoil quickly. If you leave a Field Mushroom outside for a day or so, but it will likely deteriorate.

The best way to store these mushrooms for a long time is to put them in the refrigerator or freeze them. The cold environment will preserve the freshness of the mushroom and make it last longer.

Can Mushrooms Go Bad in the Fridge?

The average storage time of mushrooms in the refrigerator is 7-10 days. After this time, your mushrooms will start to darken.

This is the first sign that your mushrooms are deteriorating, and should be thrown out.

If you cook your mushrooms and put them in the freezer, you will have the opportunity to store them for a longer time.

Freezing your mushrooms means that you can keep them for up to 1 month without spoiling, and if you pre-cut them then this is even more convenient. This way, you can take them out of the freezer whenever you want and add them to your meals easily.