Are People Allergic To Microgreens? (Explained!)

Microgreens contain a considerable amount of vitamins and minerals that help the body function each day. For the most part, microgreens will do you absolutely no harm and will be a tasty and nutritious addition to your diet.

However, some people are allergic to microgreens. Since there are so many varieties, people are unlikely to be allergic to all types of microgreens. Instead, they are likely to be allergic to the microgreen if they are allergic to the fully-grown vegetable. For example, if you are allergic to celery, you will be allergic to celery microgreens too. 

If you do not have any allergies to any vegetables, it is unlikely that you will be allergic to any microgreens. However, there are other reasons why microgreens could make you ill, which we will also discuss. 

If you are experiencing any symptoms of allergies or sickness due to eating microgreens, do not hesitate to seek medical help. For most, symptoms appear soon after eating microgreens, but they have been known to take up to three days to appear.

Microgreen Allergies

Luckily, since there are so many microgreen varieties, it would be almost impossible to be allergic to them all. They are the baby plants of various vegetables and sometimes grains, containing different enzymes and vitamins. 

Here are some of the vegetables your microgreens might be:

  • Lettuce
  • Carrot
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Celery
  • Garlic
  • Onion
  • Leek
  • Dill
  • Chicory
  • Beet
  • Spinach
  • Melon
  • Cucumber

There are even more than this, but this covers most of the microgreen options you will come across. If you are buying microgreens, it should indicate what variety they are. This will help you to establish whether you will be allergic to them or not.

Generally, if you are allergic to the vegetable or herb, you will also be allergic to the microgreen too. It contains the same things and potentially might make you even sicker than the fully-grown vegetable, as the baby plants will have whatever you are allergic to in a concentrated amount. 

Celery, garlic, and onions are ones to be wary of, as these are vegetables that people tend to be more sensitive to. Steer clear of the microgreen version if you do not get on with the vegetable.

Can Microgreens Make You Sick?

Even if you are not allergic to microgreens, there is a risk that they will make you sick. 

If you have a blood clotting problem and take Warfarin for that, or other blood-thinning medications such as Eliquis or Pradaxa, then you should be careful with microgreens. Lots of them contain high quantities of vitamin K, which could interfere with your mediation. 

Further, there are risks of food poisoning when eating microgreens raw. You could contract salmonella, E-coli or norovirus through eating microgreens, which could be due to cross-contamination with animal products.

Microgreens are generally safe if they are correctly grown; however, They can. Make you sick if improper seed is used, for example, if pesticides, fungicides, and coatings are used to ensure the seeds cannot be contaminated. Mold must be prevented from growing around the microgreens, and they must be safely handled once they are picked.

Young children and the elderly, as well as those with a compromised immune system, should be careful if eating microgreens raw. Food poisonings could affect these groups of people more than others; therefore, it is vital that the microgreens they are consuming are safe to eat.

Is It Safe To Eat Microgreens Raw?

Microgreens, like any other vegetable, are safe to eat raw if they are appropriately handled. Raw microgreens contain a vast amount of vitamins, and most people choose to eat them raw to benefit from this.

Microgreens are safer to eat raw than sprouts because you are not eating the root of the plant. The majority of pathogens live in the soil, and microgreens are just the top part of the plant that grows above the ground. 

Microgreens can be grown in less humid conditions than sprouts, and this reduction of moisture also makes them safer to eat raw. The humid growing conditions can lead to mold growth, which makes the plants dangerous to eat raw.

What Microgreens Are Toxic?

Not all vegetables can be grown as microgreens. You will never find toxic microgreens for sale in the supermarket; however, if you are thinking about growing your own, there are some plants to avoid.

Nightshade family plants such as potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers should not be grown as microgreens. Nightshade plant sprouts are poisonous, and therefore as baby plants, they pose a significant risk too. 

These plants contain toxic alkaloids such as solanine and tropanes, which can cause digestive upset and adverse symptoms in the nervous system.

Other than the nightshade family, microgreens are not regarded as toxic if they are grown correctly. They can make you ill, but this can be prevented by cleaning them and eating them fresh after growing them safely.

Can You Eat Too Many Microgreens?

Unless the microgreens are contaminated, or you are allergic to them, it is not possible to eat too many microgreens. They can be consumed just like any other vegetable, and since they are packed with nutrients and vitamins, they are considered a ’functional food’ that will do your body good. They are low in calories and will help you to hit the macronutrients and micronutrients recommended each day.

As mentioned, if you are on blood clotting medication, perhaps do not eat too many microgreens due to the amount of vitamin K you might end up consuming. 

The elderly and young children should also not eat too many microgreens at once, especially if they have a weak immune system, in case of contamination or food poisoning from the greens. Unless the microgreens are contaminated somehow, they are unlikely to do you any harm.

However, if you feel ill after consuming microgreens, this might be due to food poisoning or an allergy, in which case you should seek medical help. These symptoms could last a couple of days.