How Do You Treat Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs (Solved!)

Mushroom toxicity should be treated immediately by a professional veterinarian. If mushroom poisoning goes untreated, it can be fatal. 

The only way to treat mushroom poisoning is to seek treatment from a vet. The veterinarian will give your poisoned pup intravenous fluids or other fluids to flush their systems. Veterinarians may also prescribe medication or use activated charcoal to reverse the effects of poisoning.

Visiting a vet immediately after mushroom ingestion can reduce the severity of mushroom toxicity. Some side effects include blindness and even death. By visiting the vet and inducing vomiting, you can save your dog’s life!

How Do You Treat Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs?

There are no at-home remedies for mushroom poisoning. Mushroom poisoning is a major problem and can ultimately become fatal for your canine companion if it goes untreated. To treat mushroom poisoning, visit your veterinarian immediately. 

Frequent treatments that veterinarians use are inducing vomiting and flushing toxins with intravenous (IV) fluids. Veterinarians also use activated charcoal to reverse the effects of poisoning.

Special tips for visiting the vet for mushroom toxicity: 

  • Get a sample of the mushroom wrapped in a damp paper towel, if possible. Samples or photographs of the mushroom can help your veterinarian identify the mushroom species, which significantly helps with the treatment process. 
  • Having pet insurance limits the cost. Pet insurance is a valuable investment that can save you thousands in unpredictable medical situations like this. 
  • Visit the vet as soon as possible. Prolonging visits to the vet can worsen your dog’s condition. 
  • Only have your dog take medication as prescribed. Doubling up medication will not increase the effects of the medicine. In some cases, doubling or tripling medicine can have negative effects on your dog.

Prompt treatment is critical when it comes to mushroom poisoning because of how unnoticeable this poison is. Watch your dog at all times and keep an eye out for lethargy, vomiting, seizures, and other visible signs of sickness. 

Keep a close eye on your dog, and always be mindful of your dog’s health. Pay close attention to any indicators that your dog is suffering from mushroom poisoning. 

What Are Common Signs of Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs? 

Not all signs of mushroom poisoning are immediate. However, you may sometimes tell that your dog is experiencing mushroom poisoning because of how they are acting. 

Common symptoms of mushroom poisoning include:

  • Lethargy 
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Lack of coordination
  • Weakness
  • Over salivation
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetite

If your dog is experiencing any of these symptoms, visit the veterinarian immediately for medical attention. Timeliness is an important factor in saving your dog’s life when it comes to mushroom toxicity. Any delay in seeking medical attention can lead to coma or even more severe repercussions like liver failure, kidney failure, and in the worst-case scenario, death.

How Do You Prevent Mushroom Poisoning?

The easiest way to prevent mushroom poisoning is by maintaining a close eye on your property. When mushrooms grow on your property, you risk the damage of accidental poisoning. 

You can take preventative measures, but mushroom poisoning happens accidentally, and there is no way to predict it. Luckily, there are ways to prevent mushroom poisoning from happening.

There are several other ways that you can prevent mushroom poisoning too.

Remove Mushrooms from Your Property

Removing mushrooms from your property is the easiest way to prevent mushroom poisoning in your dog. Maintain your lawn, and limit your dog’s exposure to harmful toxins. A mushroom-free yard is a dog-friendly environment. Check your lawn after every rain for new mushrooms.

Similarly, never allow your dog to explore areas where poisonous mushrooms grow. If you notice poisonous mushrooms growing, take care of them by using professional treatment. Remove mushrooms with vinegar treatment, soap & water, and nitrogen fertilizers.

Mushrooms grow in or around: 

  • Decaying items (old tree stumps, branches, leaves, and more)
  • Shady areas
  • Overgrown lawns
  • Damp places
  • Animal waste

Clean up after your animal and remove decaying material from your property. Avidly manicuring your property will prevent this harmful fungus from growing and accidentally poisoning your canine companion. 

Limit Your Dog’s Exposure to Mushrooms

The most fool-proof way to prevent mushroom poisoning is to avoid exposing your dog to mushrooms. Before letting your dog run freely, check your surroundings and confirm that no wild mushrooms are growing in the area. 

Taking your dog to a public park can be dangerous because of the unpredictable foliage. In many cases, large parks cannot be tended to private property such as a backyard.

A dog who does not have access to mushrooms will not suffer mushroom poisoning! Out of sight, out of mind!

What Types of Mushrooms are Poisonous to Dogs?

Many species are poisonous to dogs. To be safe, you should assume that every wild mushroom is poisonous to your dog. Not all mushrooms are dangerous, but some mushroom species can be fatal to your dog.

Some of the most poisonous mushrooms include: 

  • Death cap
  • Galerina Autumnalis
  • Deadly Agaric
  • Jeweled death cap
  • False morel

There is no way to teach your dog which mushrooms are okay and which are not. To save your dog from mushroom poisoning, do not let them near mushrooms. Remove mushrooms from your property and treat mushroom poisoning immediately if it happens.

Can Dogs Die from Mushroom Poisoning? 

According to the VCA Animal Hospital, if a dog’s mushroom toxicity goes untreated, it can be fatal. Mushroom toxicity causes long-term neurological problems, kidney failure, and blindness. 

Never wait for mushroom toxicity poison to appear. Not all signs of mushroom poisoning are immediate. Some dogs do not show poisoning symptoms until hours later, and by then, medical treatment can be too late. The longer dogs go without treatment, the more dangerous mushroom toxicity becomes.

It is important to note that some mushrooms are more toxic than others. The amanita phalloidin mushroom species is well-known for causing acute mushroom poisoning in dogs. Also known as the Death Cap, this mushroom is lethal to dogs and grows naturally. Still, dog owners should treat every wild mushroom with caution.