Can I Eat Oyster Mushrooms Raw? (Solved & Explained!)

Yes, you can eat oyster mushrooms raw. Oyster mushrooms are non-toxic and perfectly safe to consume raw, but they taste better when they are cooked.

Oyster mushrooms, as well as Shiitake, Porcini, and Penny Bun mushrooms, are not dangerous or hallucinogenic. They can be eaten raw but they are bulbous and quite tough when uncooked.

Can Oyster Mushrooms Make You Sick?

Fresh Oyster mushrooms will not make you sick. The only time an Oyster mushroom will make you sick is if you consume one that has deteriorated or has gone past its sell-by date.

That is because, just like all other food groups, mushrooms that go bad are subject to bacterial growth, and consuming them when they are off can put you at risk of food poisoning.

Make sure the mushrooms you eat are fresh, whether you decide to cook them or not.

How Do I Cook Oyster Mushrooms?

There are lots of ways to cook Oyster mushrooms, they make an excellent addition to many dishes.

The most common way to cook Oyster mushrooms is to fry them. They are popular when sauteéd with butter and garlic over a hot stove.

You can roast Oyster mushrooms but this may dry them out. If you wish to add them to a roasted dish make sure that it is in a dish that contains sauce or covered with foil to retain the moisture levels of your Oysters.

Do I Need to Clean Oyster Mushrooms?

If you have managed to get hold of wild Oyster mushrooms to cook, you will need to clean them first. If you have bought Oyster mushrooms from the store then check the label to see if they have been cleaned before being packaged.

Oyster mushrooms can be cleaned with water. They are hard and bulbous so running them under the tap will not make them soggy.

Avoid submerging your Oyster mushrooms in water and leaving them. Mushrooms absorb water through their skin and although Oyster mushrooms are quite tough they can absorb too much water a become soggy after a few hours.

What Happens When You Eat a Raw Oyster Mushroom?

If you decide to eat a raw Oyster mushroom, or you eat one by accident, not much will happen.

You will be perfectly fine, except you may dislike the taste. Raw Oyster mushrooms will leave you with a metallic taste in your mouth, and will likely make your mouth dry as they are quite firm and difficult to chew.

It probably wouldn’t be the best meal experience, but it will not make you sick or harm you in any way.

Are There Any Poisonous Mushrooms That Look Like Oyster Mushrooms?

The Jack O Lantern is a type of mushroom that is often mistaken for an Oyster.

The Jack O Lantern is shaped like a traditional oyster but is yellow or orange in color and is highly poisonous. Mushroom hunters should be wary of the Jack O Lantern, which grows commonly in Australia and Europe.

Ghost Mushrooms are also often mistaken for Oyster mushrooms, at least they are easily confused with them during the day.

At night, ghost mushrooms glow and emit a green or greeny-white light – which is often the giveaway that they are not an Oyster.

Ghost mushrooms are deadly poisonous and should be avoided.

Do Oyster Mushrooms Need to Be Refrigerated?

If you want to store Oyster mushrooms it is recommended to refrigerate them.

Oyster mushrooms will last between 5 and 7 days in the fridge. The cold temperature will help to maintain their moisture levels and keep them fresher for longer.

Oyster mushrooms stored in the cupboard or in any place at room temperature will only be at their best for a day or so.

Are Oyster Mushrooms Good For You?

Yes, Oyster mushrooms are very good for you. Non-toxic edible mushrooms like Oyster mushrooms are recommended as part of a healthy balanced diet.

Oyster mushrooms are full of antioxidants that help to suppress inflammation. They also support good heart health, and promote blood sugar control and boost your immune system.

Do Oyster Mushrooms Have Medicinal Benefits?

Oyster mushrooms have a long history in traditional medicine.

The Oyster mushroom is commonly used in Chinese traditional medicine to treat a whole host of health problems from diabetes, cancer, infections, and cholesterol control.

Although there have not been many humans studies, scientific evidence suggests that Oyster mushrooms show the potential to fight tumors and combat other fungi that can attack the body.

Do Oyster Mushrooms Give You Gas?

Whether you decide to eat them raw or cooked, Oyster mushrooms can make you gassy.

Oyster mushrooms contain oligosaccharide sugar raffinose that is the key ingredient in food that makes you gassy. The raffinose can not be digested in the small intestine so is passed to the large intestine where it begins to ferment.

It is this fermentation process that produces gases, and why other foods, like beans, have a reputation for making you gassy as well.

How Many Types of Oyster Mushroom Are There?

An Oyster mushroom comes in many forms. There are six official types of Oyster mushrooms and one other that is not officially an Oyster mushroom but is an honorary member of the family.

Official Oyster Mushrooms:

  • Blue Oyster
  • Pheonix Oyster
  • Pink Oyster
  • Golden Oyster
  • King Oyster

And the Elm Oyster, which is not exactly an Oyster mushroom and can be found thriving on the sides of trees. Like the other Oysters, the Elm Oyster is perfectly safe to eat.

Which is The Best Oyster Mushroom?

The Pearl Oyster mushroom is generally considered to be the best type of Oyster mushroom. It is the most common and is found growing across North America.

Their actual name is Pleurotus Ostreatus they have a mild taste and are more tender than the other mushrooms when cooked.

They are great for warm hearty recipes and are rich in protein, healthy carbohydrates, minerals, and vitamin B as well as other nutrients and amino acids.

Pearl mushrooms are usually found growing in clusters around wooden logs.