While some of the mushrooms you eat can cause you poisoning, the majority of them do not cause you any harm.
Mushrooms sold in stores that have passed quality and safety tests are fine, and any food poisoning is due to how the mushrooms are stored and cooked.
Cases of listeria have been reported from restaurants that have served out-of-date and undercooked mushrooms. You should also avoid eating wild mushrooms that you are not sure about.
What Is Mushroom Poisoning?
Mushroom poisoning is when toxic substances that occur naturally in a mushroom, or as a result of a rotting mushroom, are consumed, causing dysfunction in the human body.
Mushroom poisoning affects the stomach, kidney, and liver. Mushroom poisoning is apparent after a short time and symptoms can be observed for up to 1-2 days.
Mushroom food poisoning can make you quite sick and can be fatal. Anyone who consumes bad or foul mushrooms is at risk of developing serious illnesses and eating a poisonous wild mushroom can result in death if necessary acute intervention is not given.
Symptoms of Mushroom Food Poisoning
In mushroom food poisoning, symptoms can appear 2-4 hours, while some symptoms may occur for longer periods of 8-10 hours.
While the symptoms that occur in a short time are less life-threatening, this risk increases as the duration increases. Therefore, acute intervention should be done at the time of poisoning.
Symptoms of common food poisoning Include
- Stomach cramps
- Flushing (warm and red) in the face and abdomen
- Temperature increase
- Heart palpitations
If these symptoms do not get better within 24 hours then consult a doctor.
If you believe you may be at risk of consuming a poisonous wild mushroom, the following symptoms will occur:
All of the above plus:
- Bloody stools
- Problems breathing
- Kidney or liver failure
If you experience any of the above at any time, go to your nearest emergency room immediately.
Can Mushroom Poisoning Be Prevented or Avoided?
To prevent food poisoning from mushrooms, make sure you only use store-bought mushrooms that are within date and cooked well.
To prevent mushroom poisoning, you need to have the knowledge and experience to distinguish poisonous mushrooms from non-poisonous mushrooms.
While most of the mushrooms you see in nature are non-poisonous, some have poison that can kill you.
So, if you are going to buy exotic mushrooms, we recommend that you buy labeled mushrooms that have passed safety and quality tests and read the cooking instructions in full.
How Long Does It Take to Get Sick From Mushrooms?
Getting sick from mushrooms can occur within 6-12 hours. Some symptoms may be shorter than this time.
Symptoms that develop in a short time are an indication that the poisoning is mild, and symptoms that progress for a long time indicate that the poisoning may be life-threatening.
What Kind of Food Poisoning Do You Get From Mushrooms?
Illnesses such as Salmonella, Listeria, and Staphylococcus are common conditions caused by mushroom food poisoning.
Liver inflammation and kidney failure were found in most of the patients presenting with symptoms such as vomiting, backache, stomach cramps, nausea, and high fever.
Mushroom poisoning can lead to death if not treated. To avoid such illnesses, mushroom-producing companies must be very careful and attentive while processing these products and those cooking the mushrooms need to be extra careful.
Can Touching Mushrooms Make You Sick?
Touching mushrooms does not make you sick. Mushroom food poisoning can only happen when you consume the mushroom and the toxins or bacteria enter your system.
However, touching with a cut or graze on your hand can lead to an infection if bad bacteria are present on the surface.
Most bacteria are killed during the cooking process but some may remain, especially if the mushroom is undercooked. Therefore it is wise to avoid rotten or poisonous mushrooms entirely.
How Long Does Mushroom Poisoning Last?
Mushroom poisoning can start after a few hours and last for days to weeks. The duration of this poisoning varies according to the amount of poison in the mushroom and how much has been consumed.
Mild poisoning can pass within 24 hours if necessary treatment is applied on the same day. However, the treatment of serious poisoning continues for days or weeks.
Do Old Mushrooms Make You Sick?
Yes, mushrooms can make you sick if you eat them when they have rotted or expired.
If you eat a spoiled mushroom that you bought at the store, you will likely experience various symptoms such as nausea and heartburn, a raised temperature, and all the general hallmarks of food poisoning.
Mushrooms are not easily perishable foodstuffs if stored well. You can store it in your freezer for long periods. however, if they come into contact with open air for a long time, mushrooms will deteriorate like other vegetables and fruits.
Can Raw Mushrooms Make You Sick?
Raw mushrooms do not make you sick if they are not poisonous.
Eating a raw mushroom is not recommended by experts. It is more appropriate to eat mushrooms after cooking because high temperatures remove any bacteria and soften the mushroom to make it more pleasant to consume.
In addition, some poisonous mushrooms can be detoxified by cooking. But this requires skill and you should follow the instructions exactly or only eat these mushrooms when cooked by experts.
Can Mushroom Spores Be Poisonous?
Mushroom spores can harm you with prolonged exposure. Deterioration of lung and kidney functionality is a common result of long-term spore inhalation.
If you are exposed to mushroom spores for a long time, the first symptoms appear after about 3-5 hours if the level of spores is high.
Are Mushrooms Healthier Raw or Cooked?
Like other foods, mushrooms lose their nutritional value when cooked. Therefore, raw mushrooms are healthier in terms of nutritional value.
Nowadays, mushrooms are generally consumed after cooking. Since the cooked mushrooms have a more delicious consistency, most people prefer to boil or fry mushrooms.
Eating a raw mushroom is not preferred, but won’t hurt you if it is a non-poisonous variant.
Hi, I’m John Stephens, chief editor and writer for Totalgardener.com. I’ve been gardening and raising animals for over 15 years starting with a small backyard plot in Northern Virginia where I grew corn, potatoes, squash, and using a high mulch technique called the Ruth Stout Method. I also raised ducks and small mammals for meat and eggs in a movable pen similar to the ones used by Joel Salatin. I later moved to Colorado where I experimented with growing greens using aquaponics inside. I eventually added a microgreens setup and home sprouting operation. I’m excited to share everything I’ve learned plus more from the other local gardening and animal raising experts I know.