Morel mushrooms can be purchased dried for about $0.87 each (lowest price in 2020). Dried morels typically go for $25 per 2 ounces. You can also buy them fresh in the spring for $20-$35 a pound. Fresh morels are sold during the growing season from March through May. Dried morels can be bought online anytime.
Sounds cheaper to buy them fresh? It isn’t. They lose a lot of weight while drying.
We recommend you try both fresh morels from a store (like Whole Foods) in the Spring. Then try them dried. Obviously the fresh will have a vastly different taste.
Use different recipes for fresh vs. dried. The nice thing about morels is that they aren’t easy to grow. A usable technique to grow them was only patented relatively recently in 1982. Still, at best you can grow about 6,000 per acre as they do in China.
This means that morels tie you to the seasons like produce used to. So look forward to the Spring and those fresh morels available to buy. At just the cost of sashimi grade tuna you too could be dining on morels tonight!
To check current prices on dried morel mushrooms scan below.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
- Morel Mushrooms with stems nice earthy fragrant with soft hints of smokiness aroma
- Our Morels are Non GMO, Kosher, Gluten Free Morel Mushrooms
- Wild, all natural morels, not farm raised sizes and shape of cap will very. Nice dense, meaty morels
- Morel Mushrooms are have a very well rounded flavor profile that is distint, bold, earthy and often desribed as umami
- Gourmet Turkish Morel Mushrooms by Slofoodgroup
And completely unrelated but because we’re mushroom nerds here, check out this Morel mushroom children’s game that we found while searching for dried mushrooms on Amazon: