When you have a five acre lawn to mow, it should have a cutting deck that ranges somewhere in the ballpark of 42 inches to 61 inches. Therefore, the bigger the deck, the quicker you will accomplish the cutting job.
The width of the mower is the key to getting a larger amount of coverage over the surface area of the lawn. Having the right sized mower for a five acre yard can save time and money as well as wear-and-tear on the equipment.
How Long Would It Take to Mow 5 Acres?
The length of time it takes to mow five acres will largely depend on how wide the cutting deck is. But, on average, it will take roughly two hours and 20 minutes for a mower that ranges between 42 and 61 inches. But, if you want to get more technical about it, you can figure it will take a total of 8,712 seconds or 145.2 minutes.
What Size Mower Can Handle 5 Acres of Grass?
Any mower that has a cutting deck width of 40 inches up to 72 inches can handle five acres of grass. However, 40 inches may take considerably longer than usual. 72 inches might be overkill depending on the size of your lawn.
How Many Acres Can a 72 Inch Mower Handle in an Hour?
A 72 inch mower can cut anywhere from 5.2 acres to 6.6 acres within an hour. But it depends on the topography and hilliness of the lawn as well as its layout.
How Many Horsepower Should a Mower Have to Cut 5 Acres of Grass?
Most mowers for a five-acre area should have at least 24 horsepower (HP) to be effective. This will provide the strength and endurance necessary to move at a steady pace while cutting grass.
Which Brands of Zero-Turn Mowers are the Best for Cutting 5 Acres?
Zero-turn mowers are the typical push models you see most homeowners use when cutting their lawn. The following list describes some of the best that can handle cutting five acres.
- Bad Boy ZT60: A mower with a 60-inch cutting deck and a 25 HP Kohler engine, this looks just as fierce and powerful as it performs. This is a great mid-way mower between commercial and residential types. It has 100-feet pounds of torque with a hydro-gear drive system.
- Cub Cadet Ultima ZTX4: Coming with a Kohler 7000 Pro V-Twin Dual Hydrostatic engine, this gas-powered mower can handle five acres easy. It has 24 HP and comes with a four-year warranty covering up to 500 hours of use.
- Husqvarna Z254: This one has a 26 HP engine with a 54-inch wide cutting deck. It can handle five acres of grass like a dream. It’s one of the more affordable models and many owners report how much they love it.
- Swisher Kawasaki Commercial Pro Z3166CPKA: This mower has a 66 inch fabricated cutting deck with a 31 HP engine which bring pure, raw mowing power. It works excellent on lawns with tall, thick and rough grass.
- Toro Titan: This mower has a 60-inch wide deck and is most ideal for mowing five acres. It has plenty of power to cut through thick, tall grass with blades that move over 18,908 FPM in a 10-gauge steel deck. It has 24.5 HP with a rubber chute for easy discharge and maneuvering.
Which Brands of Riding Lawn Mowers are Best for Cutting 5 Acres?
Riding Lawn Mowers make cutting five acres of grass fun and relaxing. The ones mentioned below are some of the best ones available on the market.
- Cub Cadet FAB XT1 LT50: This riding mower from Cub Cadet’s Enduro series provides a Kohler 7000 series engine with 24 HP. It has a 50-inch cutting deck width and can handle almost any type of lawn. With a 16-inch turn radius, it gives the feel of a zero-turn mower for optimal steering.
- Husqvarna TS 354XD Riding Mower: A riding mower that offers 54 inches in a cutting deck and 24 HP, this model is powerful. It features a Kawasaki FR series V-Twin engine and a hydrostatic transmission. The steel fabricated deck makes cutting five acres a breeze.
- Husqvarna YTH24V54: Featuring a Briggs & Stratton V-Twin engine, this riding mower has a 54-inch cutting deck and 24HP. The 16-inch turn radius allows you to get into tight and narrow spaces with ease. It even comes with ergonomic steering and 15-inch back seats for the ultimate in mowing comfort.
How Much Would It Cost to Hire Someone to Mow 5 Acres of Grass?
In the case you would rather hire someone to come and mow your five acres of grass, expect to pay anywhere from $95 to $105 per acre. This would total in the range of $475 to $525 per mowing session. Such a prospect is ideal for those with physical handicaps or people who don’t have the time to mow such a wide swath of land.
Can You Use a Mower with a Cutting Deck Less than 40 Inches for 5 Acres of Grass?
There are some models with a smaller cutting deck that are okay for cutting five acres. However, it will take a lot more energy, time and money to do it. You can have a mower with a deck as small as 19 inches and be effective. But, it will take quite a bit of time.
When Is It Better to Use a Mower with Less Than a 40-Inch Cutting Deck for 5 Acres?
A deck with less than a 40-inch width is ideal for someone who is elderly or has other physical limitations preventing them from using something bigger. Also, if a larger mower is not within budget, one with a smaller cutting deck will be more ideal.
Another example would be due to the overall surface area. If there are lots of narrow spaces or many hills, using a deck with a smaller width will be safer.
Hi, I’m John Stephens, chief editor and writer for Totalgardener.com. I’ve been gardening and raising animals for over 15 years starting with a small backyard plot in Northern Virginia where I grew corn, potatoes, squash, and using a high mulch technique called the Ruth Stout Method. I also raised ducks and small mammals for meat and eggs in a movable pen similar to the ones used by Joel Salatin. I later moved to Colorado where I experimented with growing greens using aquaponics inside. I eventually added a microgreens setup and home sprouting operation. I’m excited to share everything I’ve learned plus more from the other local gardening and animal raising experts I know.