Will Mushrooms Hurt Dogs?

Do you have mushrooms growing in your lawn where your dog plays? Will mushrooms hurt your dogs? In this article we’ll cover common store-bought, lawn, and wild mushrooms that are toxic to dogs. Plus we’ll talk about what’s safe and what to do if your dog eats unsafe mushrooms.

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

According to experts at the American Kennel Club, most store-bought mushrooms are safe to give to your dog. This assumes you’re giving your dog just the mushroom. If it’s part of a dish that contains other toxic foods like onions you’re better off not giving that to your dog.

Can Puppies Eat Mushrooms?

Per the AKC, dogs and puppies can eat mushrooms alone when purchased from the store and that aren’t part of complex meals that contain other harmful foods like onions or peppers.

What Mushrooms Are Safe For Dogs To Eat?

Store-bought mushrooms and wild, edible mushrooms that are safe for people are safe for dogs. There are many highly poisonous wild mushrooms that should be avoided. This is true both for your dog and for you! The links above lead to other articles on either safe, wild edible mushrooms or dangerous, poisonous wild mushrooms.

Can Dogs Eat Cooked Mushrooms? 

Yes. Cooked mushrooms are better for both people and for dogs.

Cooking destroys trace chemicals in mushrooms that could be harmful. Button and portobella mushrooms contain trace amounts of a carcinogenic compound call hydrazine. Shiitake mushrooms contain trace amounts of formaldehyde.

Cook your mushrooms, destroy these trace compounds, and both you and your dog will be better for it.

Can Dogs Eat Store-bought Mushrooms?

Absolutely, as discussed above according to experts at the AKC store-bought mushrooms are also safe for dogs when eaten cooked and separate from other things like onions or spices which may be harmful to your dog.

how to grow mushroom indoor

Can Dogs Eat White Mushrooms?

Yes, dogs can eat most store-bought mushrooms.

Which Store-bought Mushrooms Are Poisonous To Dogs?

None of the common store-bought mushrooms are poisonous to dogs. This includes button mushrooms, portobella mushrooms, shiitake and oyster mushrooms.

Rarer mushrooms available at the store like morels, enoki, and more should also be safe. In many states wild mushroom hunters that collect morels are certified to help ensure their mushrooms are safe and aren’t poisonous look alikes.

The one rare instance where a wild-crafted mushroom at a store is actually a poisonous look alike is the rare time you might find a poisonous mushroom that would harm your dog. There are several checks and balances that prevent this from happening at grocery stores.

Private stalls or farmer’s markets will require more due diligence on your part to ensure the mushrooms offered are safe. We recommend studying our guide on both wild, edible mushrooms as well as wild, poisonous mushrooms so you can start to learn the difference.

Which Wild Mushrooms Are Poisonous To Dogs?

All wild mushrooms that are poisonous to humans are poisonous to dogs. Dog poisoning via mushrooms is rare than that from humans so there’s less data on this.

To be absolutely safe, only share cooked wild mushrooms that you’re positive they are safe and edible. See our article here to learn more. Also, study the poisonous wild mushrooms as well.

Common Poisonous Wild Mushrooms include:

  • Death Caps
  • Destroying Angel
  • Other Amanita Mushrooms – learn this genus well. This is where some of the deadliest mushrooms reside.
  • Little Brown Mushrooms – hard to identify as they look so similar though not all are poisonous
  • False Morel (Jack O Lantern)
  • Deadly Webcap (Cortinarius rubellus)
  • Hallucinogenic Mushrooms – Psilocybe, Fly Agaric – These are unlikely to kill your dog but hallucinogens are generally considered a type of poison.

Which Lawn Mushrooms Are Poisonous to Dogs?

The most common poisonous lawn mushrooms are as follows in the list below. See our full list of poisonous wild mushrooms for pictures and help with identification tips.

Keep in mind this list is only those that are likely to grow in your lawn. Most poisonous species grow in a variety of habitats.

Death Cap mushroom (Amanita phalloides) – Europe

Note the green cap of the Death Cap mushroom found throughout Europe

Destroying Angel

The Standard Shape of the Amanita Family

Pholiotina rugosa (aka Conocybe filaris) – Pacific Northwest

This deadly poisonous species is common in yards in the Pacific Northwest. Unfortunately we don’t have any pictures but you can find examples at it’s wikipedia page. It’s a short brown mushroom with a 3 cm diameter cap that’s striated. It also has a small ring around the midpoint of it’s stem.

What Are The Symptoms Of Mushroom Toxicity In Dogs?

According to VCA Hospitals, dogs that eat poisonous mushrooms often show the following signs and symptoms:

Note – Symptoms are often delayed for 12 to 24 hours after ingestion just as they are in humans. If you suspect mushroom poisoning go to an emergency vet immediately and call the Poison Control Center at (800) 222-1222

  • Gastrointestinal toxins – Upset stomach, vomiting
  • If the mushroom has liver toxins – Expect delays of 12 to 24 hours then jaundice, weakness, almost in a coma – treatment must happen quickly or liver damage is irreversible
  • If the mushroom has kidney toxins – Expect delays of 12 hours then vomiting, thirst
  • Hallucinogenic (neurotoxins) – 30 minute delay then dizziness, wavering, random noises, weakness, easy agitation, and possibly seizures

What To Do If Your Dog Eats A Poisonous Mushroom?

Symptoms from eating poisonous mushrooms are often delayed for 12 to 24 hours after ingestion just as they are in humans. If you suspect mushroom poisoning go to an emergency vet immediately and call the Poison Control Center at (800) 222-1222