Mushrooms in Houseplants (Will They Kill My Plants? – Solved!)

Do you have mushrooms growing on your lawn, in your houseplants, or in your garden? Are you wondering will these mushrooms kill my plants? In this article we’ll answer that question, tell you which mushrooms are good, which are bad, and what to do about the bad ones.

Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.

Will Mushrooms Kill My House Plants?

No, generally mushrooms on the soil of your house plants means that you have great soil with lots of organic matter, you keep it well watered, and at some point mushroom spores got on the soil and started growing.

The mushrooms will leave naturally after they remove some of the nutrients from the soil. Likely there’s too much for your plant as well so they are doing you a favor.

Try and enjoy the little fruiting mushrooms for now as they’ll be gone soon enough. You can also let the soil dry out a little more between waterings. Mushrooms only fruit in high moisture environments.

Why Are There Mushrooms Growing On My House Plant?

It’s because the soil is both high in nutrients and very moist. The mushroom you see is just the fruit. The true mushroom parent is below the soil surface growing throughout the pot.

Once it’s consumed the excess nutrients in the soil it will go away. You may have used too much compost or simply watered too often. Watering a bit less will help keep the mushroom fruiting bodies down.

Why Are There Mushrooms Growing With My Succulents?

Mushrooms grow in potting soil that is high in nutrients and high in moisture. For most houseplants this isn’t a problem. For succulents it can be.

No, the mushroom won’t hurt your succulent. It’s just a sign that you’re over watering. The over watering may hurt your plant.

Instead, go back to letting the soil dry more thoroughly between waterings. In arid places like Colorado and depending on the size of your pot, that could mean watering once a week or less.

Most wetter places may require watering only once every 14 days. Feel the top few inches of the soil to confirm it dried out before watering again.

Will Mushrooms Kill My Lawn?

No, mushrooms will not kill your lawn. It is a sign of overwatering possibly. If you see them consistently pop up throughout the year even when there’s been little rain tone down the watering a bit.

Overwatering can hurt your lawn and cause lead to various diseases that could kill your grass or invite other weedy grass like species to take over like rushes.

Garden Decorative Reclaimed Teak Mushroom Sculptures Set of 3, Mushroom Garden Figures, Lawn Ornament, Toadstools

Why Do Mushrooms Pop Up In The Yard?

Too much water and too many nutrients. You need both for mushrooms to appear in your yard. Mushrooms won’t hurt your yard. On the contrary, they’ll remove excess nutrients and help “till” the soil improving air flow, increasing beneficial bacteria, and improving soil health.

Will Mushrooms Kill My Landscaping Plants?

Nope. On the contrary mushrooms in landscaping will help break down the mulch and leaves providing additional food for your landscaping bushes and trees. They’ll even help feed your flowers!

Watch your plants for signs of overwatering. Mushrooms appearing when there hasn’t been a lot of rain could be a sign that you’re watering too much. That could lead to a variety of plant diseases.

Will Mushrooms Kill My Garden Plants?

Nope, again, expect mushrooms to improve the health of your soil and make your garden plants harder.

With mushrooms growing next to edible plants you’ll need to be careful they don’t accidentally get harvested. A poisonous mushroom could make you deadly sick.

World of Wonders - Gnaughty Gnomes Series - Gnome Grown Stash - Collectible Stoner Gnome on Mushroom Holding Bong Cannabis Pot Leaf Jewelry Trinket Keepsake Box 420 Home Decor Accent, 7-inch

What To Do About Existing Mushrooms

In general mushrooms will help your house plants, lawn, and garden. Here’s what we recommend you do when you see mushrooms sprouting up:

  1. Enjoy them! They add more color and diversity to your garden.
  2. Check that you aren’t over watering your plants. Too much water could lead to other root diseases.
  3. Try and identify the mushrooms, especially for those in the garden. Are they edible? If so then score! Are they poisonous? Best to know in advance and pull them as they pop up.
  4. Let them do their job – They are there to improve soil health by breaking down organic matter, making more nutrients available to your lawn, garden, or house plants.